Eliminate Outdated Acrylic Skylights with Poor Light Quality, Leaks, and Heat Gain with a Mall Skylight Retrofit
The Sikes Senter Mall opened in 1974 and is the only Texas mall within 100 miles of Wichita Falls. Current anchor stores are Dillard’s, JCPenney and Sears.
The existing yellowed, single pane, acrylic skylights had dismal light transmittance which caused everything inside the mall to look dreary and yellow-toned.
Additionally, the gutters between the skylights were constant leak sources and the single-glazed, acrylic, vaults had virtually no insulation factor whatsoever.
What We Did:
- Removed the existing low rise barrel vaults.
- Raised the curbs on the perimeter only.
- Eliminated the gutter problem between the existing barrel vaults for all time.
- Installed new pyramid skylights using one Quadwall .polycarbonate pyramid skylight to span the opening of three existing barrel vault skylights.
- From CPI Daylighting: 12 units – Direct2Fab – QUAD PYRAMID4 14.42′ wide x 14.42′ long odc. 8.06′ on slope odc. 2790 sq. ft. Quadwall Glazing with flashing along the perimeter.
Finish is: Anod 204 Clear.
- 12 pyramids replaced thirty six existing barrel vault skylights in Phase II of the skylight retrofit project. Phase II was completed on 2/2/2014.
- 10 pyramids replaced thirty existing barrel vault skylights in Phase I of the skylight retrofit project. Phase I was completed on 11/11/2011.
- Approximate Curb Loads:
Horz. 1,135 lbs, Vert. 1,135 lbs (658 lbs uplift) @ 4.8′ OC.
Each Hip: Horz. 2,042 lbs, Vert. 722 lbs (552 lbs uplift.
- CPI Daylighting’s advanced translucent glazing technology ensured that the building envelope was covered by an insulated translucent panel system that provides unequaled durability and daylighting performance.
- The mall owner never has to worry about troublesome and costly gutter maintenance. No roofing repair bills, no interior drywall finish repair or painting bills.
- The skylight retrofit corrected the daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space.
- The owners love the energy savings provided by the new skylights.
- Increase the facility’s property value.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In retail environments, increased daylighting has been shown to increase sales by as much as 40%.