Repairing a Canopy Installation Problem that Others Could Not
The canopy installation for the Bay Area Rapid Transit in Richmond, CA had a problem. The local representative, at that time, for CPI Daylighting made the mistake of hiring an unqualified subcontractor to install the canopy. How hard could it be? It wasn’t even indoors.
- There were several issues with this installation which required multiple trips to eventually successfully complete.
- The original flashing did not have the clear protective sheet removed before installing the flashing. Therefore, the sealants did not seal and when the sun baked the coating, that was supposed to have been removed, it made it impossible to separate from the metal. All flashing had to be replaced.
- The upturn portion of the panels was not designed to come to a downhill point, holding water. We changed the design to prevent any blockage of water.
- We discovered that the installer had to custom cut some panels and in doing so they notched panels beyond the “J” receiver allowing water to penetrate to the interior. The solution was an easy fix, but since the notch was hidden under the snap cap the hard part was finding the problem. Given time and patience we did find the problem!
What We Did:
- Repair previously Installed CPI Skin System Canopy by removing and re-installing the system properly.
- We inspected and found the problems, performed the repairs and passed all inspections so everyone could get paid for the job. (Payments were being held up to due to this punch list item)
- CPI Daylighting Pentaglas 16mm Standing Seam Roof Assemblies
- CPI Daylighting’s advanced translucent glazing technology ensured that the building envelope was covered by a translucent panel system that provides unequaled durability and daylighting performance, supplies all the daylight desired without glare and avoids unwanted solar heat gain.
- Prevented exterior water penetration into the interior of the structure.
- Correct daylighting and solar heat levels required for the space
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs