Hail Damage, Rattling, Panels Popping— All Solved with a Skylight Replacement.
This large structural barrel vault skylight had hail damage to the exterior skin of this quadwall skylight. The exterior panels needed to be removed and replaced. The building owner had some requirements on light transmittance and noise deflection. He wanted a lower light transmittance. During the summer daylight hours it would be extremely bright in his lobby area. His existing skylight panels were making a loud banging sound when expanding and contracting. Upon inspection his support rafters were too tight to the structural framing. His panels had been screwed in place not allowing the natural movement of the polycarbonate panels.
A skylight replacement was called for.
The complete replacement of the existing panels were implemented. We removed the existing panels and installed new quadwall polycarbonate panels with one layer of white fiber insulation. This fulfilled both requirements from the owner. It filtered his light transmittance down to 26% and allowed for some sound deflection and insulation from outside noise to the interior of building.
The new skylight replacement also stopped the banging noise put out by the rafters and the erroneously secured panels in the system.
- Product Used:
- Polycarbonate Quadwall Green exterior / Ice White Matte interior.
- Dow Corning 795 silicone structural sealant in Bronze .
- Less light transmittance to meet the owner’s request.
- The skylight replacement reduced noise infiltration.
- Stopped the panels from “banging or popping”.
- Increased the skylight’s longevity and reduced maintenance requirements.
- The owners love the energy savings provided by the new skylight.
- Increase the facility’s property value and skylight longevity.
- Healthy, natural daylight in the space with soft translucent light and accurate color rendition.
- No required maintenance or re-coating costs—individual exterior panels are easily replaced.
- In work environments, decreased daylighting has increased productivity.
- The owner loves the noise reduction.