Mall Skylight Survey and Consultation
Bellis Fair is an enclosed shopping mall in Bellingham, Washington. Opened in 1988, it features J. C. Penney, Kohl’s, Macy’s, Sports Authority, and Target.
A skylight consulting onsite inspection was made June 6th 2011 by Skylight Specialists, Inc., represented by Rob Packard.
Mall skylights of concern were the Octagon Glass Pyramid Skylights:
- (2 ea.) Glass Octagon skylights, 44’ nominal
- (7 ea.) Glass Octagon skylights, 24’ nominal
- (2 ea.) Glass Vestibules 28’ x 20’ nominal
What We Found:
- (9 ea.) Glass Octagon skylights have degraded butt joints around perimeter of diamond shaped glass, except for hip. Operations manager has been repairing in various localize areas of leaks.
- (2 ea.) Vestibules have leak issues that are coming from sloped and vertical glass and also the flashing between the building and the vestibule.
Wet seal all the octagon skylights.
Wet seal the metal and glass on vestibules. (Front glass does not need caulked)
There are no signs of insulated glass failure. However, the mall was built in 1988 and the glass will fail at some point in the future. Possibly put into budget to replace glass through phased replacement.
Inspection/Certification Nationwide — It all starts with a simple phone call.